With my Piano Music I want to set scenarios for introspection and reflection, a safe place to be alone when we need to get in touch with ourselves.
What do we say to ourselves when we are alone? Embrace yourself in this musical scenario and let your emotions come alive.
Composing in the flow
Some of my piano songs were composed in the flow. Composing in the flow, for me, is a way of letting the music come into existence, like filmmakers capture images, but capturing sounds instead. After decades of music making I've been able to compose in the state of flow.
Flow: A state in which people are so involved in an activity that nothing else seems to matter. The experience is so enjoyable that people will continue to do it...for the sheer sake of doing it.
It takes a committed effort to manifest happiness. The best moments of our lives are not the passive, receptive, relaxing times. The best moments usually occur when body or mind is stretched to its limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult and worthwhile.
The Eight Characteristics of Flow, according to Csikszentmihalyi:
- Complete concentration on the task
- Clarity of goals and reward in mind and immediate feedback
- Transformation of time (speeding up / slowing down of time)
- The experience is intrinsically rewarding and has an end in itself
- Effortlessness and ease
- There is a balance between challenge and skills
- Actions and awareness are merged, losing self-conscious rumination
- There is a feeling of control over the task